Sunday, January 12, 2014

Tea and tears

Ok you other mothers, I'm going to assume that you all have experienced postpartum, hormonal breakdowns like I have. I remember after Elizabel was born I totally freaked out because I thought Levi gave Elizabel shaken baby syndrome from putting her car seat carrier in the base too roughly. Where in reality he just clicked it normally. After Olivia was born I had a come apart while picking up new lab coats. They didn't embroider my name the way they had previously. I thought it was difficult to read. I was so mad because they would not take them back and redo them. Now most people who know me will agree that it usually would take a lot for me to confront someone and be angry with them. Afterwards I was so embarrassed by my attitude that I wouldn't go back to the store for a year or more:(

Well I didn't realize that the fatigue of this trip would have me have similar emotional break downs. Today for dinner we wanted to try a Cantonese restaurant in our hotel. When we got there we should have realized it was nicer than we expected and should have looked at a menu. But we did not and we sat down and ordered some yummy tea. We had so enjoyed our tea earlier the day why not try some more. The chrysanthemum  tea turned out to be way more expensive than we thought (I need to do a better job calculating the exchange rate.) The girls didn't even like it. They preferred the free samples we tried earlier in the day. Levi and I felt obligated to drink our tea and in the meanwhile we quickly realized that there was nothing on the menu our children would eat. On a night without kids I may have been adventurous enough to try black fungus soup or marinated duck lung but tonight I was not in the mood. So as we tried to quickly drink our tea and leave the waitress kept on refilling it. Levi tried to politely explain that we appreciated the tea but didn't want anymore and would just pay for the tea and leave, no we were not upset, the menu looked good but our children were tired and wouldn't eat. My poor husband tried to explain this all to the waitress with a huge language barrier while his tired wife was alternating between crying and laughing. Thankfully they charged us only $20 instead of $50 for the tea since the girls didn't drink it. Who knew that their are fancy, pricy teas like their are wines?!

After all of that I took the children upstairs to get them ready for bed while Levi ran across the street to get us McDonalds (which we had for lunch). But after getting the kids nuggets he decided to get him and me something new to try.



Mr Pancho! A surprisingly delicious taco! A little taste of home (chased down with a Chinese beer.)

A nice end to a busy (and emotion filled) day!

No comments:

Post a Comment