Tuesday, January 7, 2014

I am Ma!

Sorry for no update yesterday. The internet was crazy slow. Yesterday was a great day. We did paperwork in the morning. Afterwards we went by the hospital that Elliott spent several months in to have surgeries to repair his intestinal malformation. It was an enormous hospital and I was told a good one. Elliott hasn't had any medical problems since Sept 2012. We pray that he doesn't have anymore intestional issues.

The remaining of the day was spent in the hotel. Elliott seems to be comfortable in our hotel room and it's nice to see him relax and feel confident enough to explore and play. We are getting lots of smiles and he giggles a lot when you tickle him. It's the sweetest sound. There is a nice play area in the hotel so we spent some time there too. It has a ball pit, small slides and several toys. It's nice to let the girls run around and play with Elliott.

We have a small kitchenette in our room which has been great. We have made a few simple meals. It has saved us money and it's nice to have some home cooked meals even if it's just grilled cheese sandwiches, spaghetti and fruit. At home we don't eat out much and get tired of restaurant food. And anyone with small children know it can be tiresome eating out often.

This morning we went to the Panda Breeding Center. It was a chilly but clear morning. It seems like most days since being here have been overcast and the pollution pretty bad but today seems clearer and fresher. it was a prefect day to walk around outside and see the pandas. This is a popular attraction in Chengdu. They are breeding pandas to be released into the wild. We were able to see many full grown and six babies (around 5 months old.) we all enjoyed it very much.

I'll post pics later when we get them uploaded.

Elliott is doing very well. It is common for children adopted from China to be nervous around their dad and get attached to mom more quickly and this is what we are experiencing! Elliott won't let me out of his sight. In the hotel room he follows me if I get to far away. He won't let anyone else hold him. The only time he will let Levi hold him is to give him a bottle. So Levi is giving him his bottles and feeding him. This will eventually build trust and I fully expect Elliott to figure out that Levi is the fun/exciting parent very soon:) I am thankful that he wants me and he has started to call me Ma...it just melts my heart. He will point to Levi when you ask him where Daddy is and he has said Da a few times!he also points to the girls when you ask him where sisters are. I love that he is learning who his family is. 

Eventually I will be able to leave the room without a fit as he learns that we are permantly in his life and that when we leave we will return. For now we will work hard on establishing trust and that means sleeping with him. We have never had our children sleep with us before. We are those tough parents that made our children learn to fall asleep on their own :) So this is new territory for us. I am currently typing this blog in bed with him napping next to me. Last night at 8:00 I laid down with him and read in bed for a few hours after he fell asleep. This is fine now while we are in China but I don't know how it will work at home. Naptime is when I do my chores and spend time with Lizzy while the others sleep. And evening time is again when I do chores or when Levi and I have quality, kid-free time. Oh well, I guess it won't last forever and I will be thankful for the bonding time.he is quite adorable to watch sleep!

We skyped with Asher this morning. He is with Katie and is doing very well, probably better than we are without him. We know it's best for him to have stayed home but Levi, Elizabel and I were all very sad after talking to him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment